Wednesday 4 March 2015

because sometimes we just need a good old kick up the arse

Had a very busy two days with the ponies; busy days are my favourite! Yesterday we took Jack to Watt Meadow for some sj schooling. Now I'm going to be completely honest and say this didn't start off in the best way. In all fairness to him he warmed up lovely in a very spooky arena right next to a very busy road, I had him completely on buckle end which is quite a big deal as he's usually super tense and strong so that was nice but then as soon as we started jumping things went out the side door a little. The lags few rides haven't been the most spectacular and it looked like it was going to be another shitty day, he was completely uninterested and felt completely backwards coming into a fence. Now he is a horse that without a doubt loves his job, he is usually pulling me towards fences with his ears forward and wouldn't think twice about stopping so this was very, very out of character and kind of a big flashing warning sign that something needed to be done. Without a doubt I was the problem, without going into detail because I don't believe the internet is the place for sharing your private life, things haven't been all gravy lately and I've always believed that horses 100% pick up on your mood; I didn't want to be there and to jump so neither did Jack which is fair enough. So I decided to take a different approach to the whole outing and to sit back, put a smile on my face and try and remember exactly why I love horses. I just let him take charge and sat quiet and stopped interfering. I can honestly say that the difference within five minutes says a whole lot for how mind sight plays a role in horse riding because the minute I started to relax and enjoy myself again he was like a different horse, back to the old Jack, flying round everything and tanking me towards fences a few minutes ago he wouldn't even trot over. We finished doing a 2ft9 course of 11/12 jumps a few times and he went so beautifully round it, by far the best he's ever jumped round a course. It's not like me to be overly cheesey but I have to give him his due because I was in desperate need of having a great time and laughing and smiling on a horse again, so thank you for my wonderful baby pony for fixing me a little. I promise I will try and be a happier bef from now on so I can have happy, awesome ponies. 

 Then today the ponies all (minus Ronald) had a visit from a very nice (Sunny begs to differ) lady to have a sports massage! They were all very good ponies and I was especially super proud of Jack for being a grown up and letting a stranger poke and prod him; he even had a little nap at some points! For anyone who knows how stressy he is on the ground you will realise this is v impressive. Sparkie was more interested in trying to eat the straw in the stable and begging for treats but he was a good boy (when is he not?) 
I loves them lots. Cheers ponies you da bestest ❤️💙

No comments:

Post a Comment