Wednesday 21 August 2013

Hacking like a grown up horse

I can assure you/I apologise for the fact;  that in the next week there will be lots and lots of blogging happening. You have been warned. Today I went up the yard nice and early (8:30) because I really fancied a long hack with Jack and I wanted to take him out before it got busy as he is a very green 4yo when it comes to hacking and has a tendency to either jump in people's cars or try to walk on his back legs occasionally... when I got to the yard he was still in his new 'fat paddock' which is always a good start! Jack was very unimpressed and clearly doesn't understand that he is overweight as he proceeded to whinny at me three times to show just how distressed and hungry he was... #horseabuse. He was pretty good to tack up, let me mount from the ground no problem and walked out relatively confidently! He was still a little spooky and had a few "that leaf is terrifying and if you ask me to walk past it, I will have to rear....I will...I swear I will..." moments but he got over them pretty quickly :) He saw his first ever train,  which apparently wasn't anything worth getting upset about (who's scared of trains when there's funny looking leaves on the loose!?) and we also saw a fire engine and a tractor and crossed the main road no problem!  We were out for about two hours...he was definitely flagging on the way home, haha sorry Lina! I've been struggling a little bit with him recently, just my mental attitude towards riding him and questioning myself a lot, but today when I was jacking along with him on the buckle it seemed to just hit me- just under 2 years ago this horse had been untouched for a year and was pretty much completely un handled. He'd never seen tack, never had a rider on his back. June 2012,  I didn't think he'd ever learn to walk forwards. Just 6 months ago it took 45 minutes to get near him with a fly spray bottle let alone spray him. He is by no means brilliant on the ground now and he still needs a whole lot of schooling,  but just the fact that I can tack him up and get on him should be an achievement. Everything he knows-being lead,  having his feet done, being tacked up, having boots on, being sprayed,  standing tied up,  walk,  trot,  canter,  jumping,  hacking out etc,  all of that he has learnt from me and I don't think I remember that often enough.  He has come so far already in just two years,  it makes the future seem so exciting!  So whenever I get frustrated in myself and feel I'm holding him back,  it times to sit down and think about everything we've achieved already- he makes me so, so proud (and maybe sometimes a little smidgen proud of myself too) I'm sorry for the fact this blog has turned out overly cheesy...I just have a lot of feels ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment